UK Ancestry Visa
What is it?
The ancestry visa allows you to live and work in the UK for 5 years, after which you can apply for an extension or indefinite leave to remain. Providing you meet the requirement below, you can apply to immigrate to the UK based on your ancestral ties.
Who can apply for one?
- is a Commonwealth citizen; and
- is aged 17 or over; and
- is able to provide proof that one of his grandparents was born in the United Kingdom and Islands and that any such
- grandparent is the applicant’s blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United
- Kingdom relating to adoption; and
- is able to work and intends to take or seek employment in the United Kingdom; and
- will be able to maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and
- holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
How to apply for an Ancestry Visa
There are several ways to apply for an Ancestry Visa, either in person, by post, online or via an agency in your home country. Most people will opt to use an agency, often many complexities are involved when applying for visas.
Links: Official UK Visa Government website