UK dependant visa & UK family visa info

UK Dependant and Family Visas


UK Dependant visa

This visa is for those coming to work in the UK on a Tier 1 or Tier 2 work visa or Tier 4 student visa, who want family members to join you. This allows them to stay with you for the time your visa is valid. If you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain during or after this period, your family members can apply with you. More details can be found here.

Note, if you are coming to the UK on the Youth Mobility Scheme, you can’t bring dependants on this visa. They will need to be eligible for, and apply for their own visa.

Family Visa

This visa applies to those wishing to live with family members who are British citizens, have an EU passport or who have Indefinite Leave to Remain, and want to stay for longer than 6 months.

If the applicant wishing to join their family member is already in the UK on a visitor visa, they will need to leave and apply from abroad. If they are on a different type of visa, it might be possible to switch from within the UK. More details can be found at the UK government visa website.

For information on other UK visa types, please go back to our main visa page